Saturday, October 14, 2006

Homework-blog buddies from 13C and 13D


My blog buddy from 13C is KIRANJIT

‘I’m The Deadliest Women In The World’, in particular reference to Kill Bill: Volume Two (2004) by Quentin Tarantino, how have women's roles in action films changed over the recent years?

Kiranjit’s independent study is focusing on the representation of women in action films and how they have changed, as the media typically associate the male to be the protagonist/dominant figure in the film. Her main text will be 'Kill Bill Volume Two' (2004) by Quentin Tarantino. Other texts that she will mention that relates to my study are Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle' (2003). She says in all these films women are represented differently for example in my main text, she says 'Charlie's Angels' women are represented as dominant and in control.

The areas of overlap in our studies are she has similar key words to me from the essential word dictionary such as binary oppositions, male gaze and the main key word I have used a lot is patriarchy.

She is even referring to my main text, Charlie’s angels- full throttle and I will be mentioning points on women becoming more in the active roles which are linked to her title.

We also mention similar theorists and theories such as Laura Mulvey and the feminist theory.

Her other text is on Tomb raider, which is also a text that I will be referring to.


My blog buddy from 13D is DINVEER

‘You Can’t Force A Woman Against Her Will’- with reference to ‘House of Flying Daggers’ (2004 d. Zhang Yimou), have women become the protagonists in action/adventure movies OR are they still perceived as inferior to men?

Her independent study will be focusing on the representations of women and their roles in action films. She has looked at reviews on ‘House of Flying Daggers’ and other texts which she will be referring to such as ‘Kill Bill’ which is one of the texts that I will be using for my independent study. She will be concentrating on the subject of the feminist theory by Laura Mulvey and her essay ‘Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema’.

The areas of overlaps in our independent studies are that she has similar key words such as kung fu, which is used to fight the villains, male gaze and protagonist.

The genre of her main text is action, which is the same genre of my main text, and she talks about women becoming protagonists in action films, which is a key issue I am going to be talking about in my independent study.

She also has similar theorist and theories that I have used for my independent study so I will be able to get information that will be useful and she will be able to do the same.

Both our films include female protagonists in action films so the male gaze theory will be applied and the active male and passive female theory will get challenged by the texts.

No comments: